Monday, March 7, 2011

Mom's Potato Cheese Soup

Here is my mother's recipe for Potato Cheese Soup and it's my kids absolute favorite soup, especially when served in bread bowls:


Potato Cheese Soup (which I always double)

4 tbsp sweet butter

2 C finely chopped yellow onions

2 C peeled & chopped carrots

6 parsley sprigs

5 C chicken stock

2 large potatoes (3-4 C peeled & cubed)

1/4 C chopped fresh dill (but I always use a couple tbsp of dried)

salt & freshly ground pepper

2-3 cups grated Cheddar



1. Melt butter in a soup pot. Add onions & carrots and cook over low heat, covered, until vegetables are tender and lightly colored, about 25 min.

2. Add parsley, stock & potatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 30 min.

3. Add dill, remove soup from the heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes.

4. Pour soup thru a strainer and transfer the solids to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. (My food processor broke so I do this in my blender in batched with no problems). Add 1 cup of the cooking stock & process until smooth.

5. Return pureed soup to the pot and add remaining cooking liquid.

6. Set over low heat, add salt & pepper to taste and gradually stir in grated cheese. When all the cheese is incorporated and soup is hot (not boiling), serve immediately.

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment